Lodgers and subletting

Please find below information on lodgers and subletting


If you rent your home, you may be permitted to take in a lodger (someone who shares your home, normally in exchange for money) as long as you do not overcrowd your home, or there is no restriction in your lease. 

If you receive Housing Benefit or Universal Credit, the amount you’re entitled to may change as a result, so you must inform us and the Department for Work and Pensions before going ahead. Permission will not be granted if you are subject to a court order.

Please contact us if you're thinking of taking in a lodger.


If you rent your home, letting someone else rent all or part your home is not permitted. Renting your social home for short periods of time, or even just one room of your home, via Airbnb or similar is tenancy fraud.

Committing tenancy fraud is a criminal offence and can result in a fine and/or a prison sentence.

At Moat, we take tenancy fraud very seriously. If you’re concerned about tenancy fraud, you can phone our hotline to talk to our dedicated team on 0300 323 0186.

For more information, please visit www.tenancyfraudforum.org.uk/ or take a look at our tenancy fraud policy.