Adapting and improving your home

Everything you need to know about adapting and improving your home as a shared owner can be found below.

It’s important that you obtain our permission before you carry out any work - obtaining our consent is an important condition under the terms of your lease. You may also need to provide us with a copy of the estimates for the works.

If you intend to make structural changes, we'll also need to see detailed plans along with building or planning regulation approvals before consent can be given for the work to start. A Licence for Alterations will also need to be drawn up. If you don't get consent and the licence you'll be breaking the conditions of your lease and you'll risk losing your home. Some minor alterations to your property are considered as repairs and maintenance rather than home improvements.

Once you are ready to apply, you'll need to complete and return our Home improvements registration form.

Need more information?

If you are unsure if the work you are planning to do is an improvement or repairs and maintenance, take a look at the Home Improvement section of our Homeowner's Handbook or contact postsales@moat.co.uk.