Insuring your home

Your home and possessions are valuable, so it’s important to protect and insure them. Here’s all the information you need to get the right policies in place and make claims for any accidents in your home. 

Buildings insurance

Where Moat is the freeholder, we take out buildings insurance for the building you live in. This covers the costs of major damage to the structure of your building. This includes external walls, the roof and communal areas, and provides cover for events such as fires, storms, floods, leaks or subsidence. Buildings insurance does not cover general repairs and maintenance.

The cost of your buildings insurance is based on the rebuild value of your home and is paid through your service charges. Insurance premiums can vary from year to year. You will be notified of any changes in premiums and can also request details of insurance costs by contacting customer@moat.co.uk.

You can view a copy of the Summary of Cover which explains the policy and other information to help you to understand what is and isn’t covered. Full terms and conditions are available on request.

In some cases, leaseholders may have a contractual obligation to insure the building they live in. You should check your lease and ask your solicitor to confirm your lease conditions and responsibilities for insurance, repairs, maintenance and charges before you purchase your home.

Making a claim
Contents insurance

Whether you are a tenant, shared owner or leaseholder, it is important to insure your home contents. We recommend taking out home contents insurance with a reputable company.

When we say ‘contents’, we mean your belongings. This is essentially everything that could be put in a removals van if you were to move house, including things like white goods, electronic devices, televisions, curtains and even the food in your freezer! Carpets are covered by contents insurance, too. You are free to choose your own insurance provider and select the level of cover you’d like. 

Click here for more information on home contents insurance.

Spilt Tea For Insurance Page
The Royal Sun Alliance

We also have a partnership with the Royal Sun Alliance (RSA)* who have given us a fantastic deal for any Moat customers. Cover with the RSA includes:

  • No excess payable on any claim
  • Easy payment options
  • New for old cover (except clothing and household linen where an allowance for wear and tear is deducted)
  • An option to extend the standard cover for the following: Full accidental damage cover on household contents, personal belongings away from the home, wheelchairs, hearing aids and pedal cycles
Insurance Page

How to apply

If you would like to apply, you can do so by calling 03456 718 172 or by filling out an online application here.

Please note this is arranged between the customer and RSA independently of Moat.

How to make a claim

 You can make a claim to RSA by calling them on 03456 718 172 or submitting your claim online here


*Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc (No. 93792). Registered in England and Wales at St. Mark’s Court, Chart Way, Horsham, West Sussex, RH12 1XL. Authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority